Re: Pure, pure, species

John Boehme (jandce@iglobal.net)
Sun, 20 Oct 1996 19:45:53 -0500

At 05:31 PM 10/19/96 -0700, you wrote:
> From: PeterSmale@aol.com
>
> >Steve writes: You can have the rest as curiosities as far as I am concerned
>
> Basically I'm with you Steve on this. One of the things I worry about is tha
> a lot of people grow plants from seed obtained from mixed collections or
> through clubs seed banks and believe that the offspring are true species whe
> in a lot of cases the flowers have been visited by bees who have been all
> around the greenhouse picking up pollen from every flower that happens to be
> open.
> I would like to see a collection of guaranteed species of Sarracenia backed
> up by DNA checking to be used as both a reference and a source of true
> species for collectors.

So what,

My plants are collected for enjoyment. And if by collecting them I am
helping preserve their species, all the better.

In NATURE (remeber, the thing we are trying to preserve), show me a PURE
subject. Cross breeding within a species is critical for the species' long
term survival and ocures very naturally in the wild. Simply by one mutation
of a gene (which ocures naturally) being cross pollinated with the so called
PURE specimen.

I think the purity arguments should be left to the Hitler want'a'bees and
the equivilant.

John Boehme
jandce@iglobal.net
http://www.iglobal.net/pub/JohnAndCe