Re: Byblis - tuning forks and pollen.

Phil (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 7 Oct 1996 20:57:12 GMT

Loyd,
> Peter, Phil and Byblis owners
>
> Phil wrote:
>
> >You need to use a tuning fork to get at the pollen in
this
> >species. Strike the tuning fork and touch the side of the
> >stigma with it. If you have got it right pollen should be
> >sprayed in a fine strem coating the lower petal. I would
> >guess in nature the pollen is aimed to cover the back of
> >the pollinating insect.
>
> So you will be needing a tuning fork Peter! This caused me
> many problems as every music shop tried to sell me an
> electronic tuner. Fine for tuning guitars - not much use
on
> Byblis. Try explaining that to other wise helpful sales
> staff. However I found sympathy much help and at last a
> tuning fork from those nice people at Chappells of Bond
> Street. What is even better they will take your order by
> phone and post the device to you. I contacted the Milton
> Keynes shop (in the UK BTW) on the following telephone
> nomber: 01908 663366

I had no problem finding a tuning fork at my local music store,
although the (obvious) question of "Which key do you require" did
throw me. I didn't have the time or energy to explain why I actually
needed the thing so I just blurted out the first note I could think of
(an E, I think). Anyway, it works just fine. Obviously the music shops
in Somerset are not quite as sophisticated and advanced as those in
Rushden, Loyd. :-)

> Tuning forks come in all shapes and sizes (not to mention
> keys) the important thing is that the fork is small enough
> to touch the flower parts. My fork is a bit over 12cm in
> length a '659 E fork' made by John Walker England, and
does
> a smashing job.
>
> >Scrape a small amount of pollen using (in order of
personal
> >preference)a small knife, tweezers or a brush coating the
> >stigma. Be
> >warned though, that I have never got a B. gigantea to
self
> >fertilise.
>
> Yep - the flowers I self pollinated failed to set seed. I
> was informed that you may get a couple of seeds by

Although on the other hand B. liniflora ssp Occidentalis, which has a
similar system for dispersing pollen seems to self quite well,
although you get far better results if you cross with other clones.

> Why Mister Wilson you should have told me as I've been up
> my eye balls in flowers all Summer. Should have some more
> flowers open at the week end if you and Peter need some
> pollen - any one else out there need some whilst I'm out
> with my tuning fork?

I'd be glad to relieve you and your eyeballs of some pollen.

--
Phil Wilson
(cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)