Re: drosera hardiness

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Thu, 03 Oct 96 20:01 EDT

> From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV>
>
> I'm trying to decide whether or not to leave Drosera capensis, D traycii,
> and D intermedia outside in the bog garden for the winter. Winter
> temperatures in Atlanta (USA) go below freezing (usually not lower than 10
> F). Any advice is welcome.

No problem for the D.intermedia. D.tracyi should be ok that far
south. Isn't Atlanta very close to it's natural range? As for
D.capensis, the one I put out in my bog didn't survive last year's
NJ winter. Does the soil freeze down several inches where you
live (like here) or do you just get some very hard frosts? Is
your bog in the ground or above?

Dave Evans