Re: Rainwater

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 15 Sep 1996 18:44:28 +0100

On 14 Sep 96 at 12:20, Carl Mazur wrote:

> Just a comment. If you use rainwater, it contains nitrogen. I'm not sure
> who told me this but, I was told that lightning causes a reaction of
> somesort, that ends up producing nitrogen. I find that plants watered
> with rainwater tend to grow much better for me than when watered with
> other sources of water. Maybe its all psychosamatic!

Certainly when I was discussing plants adapted for low nutrient
situations (CP, I mentioned Protea as well, and we probably all
get Erica spp. growing in our CP pots), I didn't imagine that these
or any plant would thrive for long in a *zero* nutrient situation.
There must be low concentrations of nutrients around, whether already
in the medium, somehow fixed from the atmosphere, or in the rainwater
(which in my case has drained off a mossy roof, and then stood around
for months possibly accumulating algae and mosquito larvae.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)