Re: Re: HELP: Pinguicula PRIMULIFLORA

phillips@library.ucsf.edu
Mon, 09 Sep 1996 16:19:24 -0700

At 02:15 PM 9/9/96 -0700, you wrote:

>> I grow mine in sand topped by live sphagnum, and I don't have that
problem....
>> I used to have the same troubles when I had them in peat.

>Hi List,
>
> Sorry about that blank letter... Anyway, Pinguicula DOES NOT
>grow in peat or peatmoss. All soils should contain at least 70%
>material(s) other than peatmoss, sand is often the best option.
>Some Butterwurts (my German take on the name) can't tolerate pure
>peat moss at all and the roots and leaves die on prolonged
>contact with it. Believe, I've killed far too many, but now I
>know better. Often they can be found growing on bare rock or
>as epiphytes so it appears they like their roots to have lots of
>air flow which peatmoss cuts off.
>
>Dave Evans

I grow P. primulaflora in pure long fibre sphagnum moss in a 3" pot. The
pot sits in the corner of an aquarium in bright shade with rather high
humidity. The tank gets pretty warm when the sun shines on it starting in
the middle of the afternoon, but these pings sit under the opening where
they get good air circulation. What
started out as one plant a couple of years ago, is now a mass of
primulaflora which nearly hides the entire pot. They are really beautiful
when they bloom, I have as many as twenty blossoms at a time. I also
fertilize once or twice a month with either orchid fertilizer or Epiphytes
Delight brand fertilzer at 1/4 strength.