Re: Coir

Rob Brisler (brislerr@ozemail.com.au)
Tue, 20 Aug 1996 00:59:53 +1000 (EST)

At 07:15 PM 17/08/96 -0700, Ch'ien wrote:
>Here in Sarawak coco-peat is, unfortunately, one of the only
>commercial medias available (we have no peat, sphagnum, etc.).
>It generally tests out to be slightly alkaline with a pH of about
>7.5 (perhaps why it killed Russell's D. binata). Supposedly it
>also has very high amounts of potassium but I'm not sure if this
>would necessarily prove detrimental to CP health.
>
>So far (5 months) coir seems to work fairly well for some
>lowland nepenthes (in a mix with sand), but I'm admittedly a bit
>worried about long-term effects. Has anyone had any experience
>using this stuff with nepenthes (or other CP genera)?

I have used coco-peat as an experimental peat substitute for four years now.

It is NOT good to use as a replacement fot _Sarracenia_ or _Drosera_
species. The plants will survive if you give their pots and trays a daily
overhead flush with pure water, but they will not grow as robustly as they
would in peat. The flushing avoids the salt build up that will occur even
with the unfertilized coco-peat.

I now use it as an additive to my peat sand mix for _Sarracenia_ _Drosera_
_VFT_ _Utricularia_ and _Byblis_ BUT NOT _Nepenthes_ _Brocchinia_ or
_Heliamphora_. Basically 10% of the peat I would add to the mix is
coco-peat....and I still overhead water at least weekly! The plants are
growing perfectly and my environmental sensibilities are appeased 'cos I am
conserving at least SOME peat.

Rob Brisler