Re: No one uses superthrive

Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Wed, 17 Jul 1996 16:56:59 -0400 (EDT)

Barry, you wrote:

> I've tried to write an entry about superthrive for the CP
> FAQ, but despite occasional requests for information from
> people on how they use it, hardly anyone has sent me information...
> I have concluded that while many claim to, no one actually uses
> Superthrive.

I use Superthrive on my Nepenthes, but I have not carried out any
meaningful experiments to evaluate its performance. A meaningful
experiment would involve two populations of identical clones kept
under identical conditions, one treated with Superthrive and one
not. The two populations would have to be observed for quite some
time, perhaps more than a year, to gauge the results--unless the
results were dramatic and evident in a very short period. (I doubt
this to be the case, personally).

All other reports of Superthrive results for Nepenthes that
I've read from the listserver did not occur under such a
rigorous testing scheme. Therefore the results could have
been due to other factors.

So, I claim that the effects of Superthrive on Nepenthes
remain to be substantiated. Yes, the stuff of urban legend...

Perry Malouf