Re: predator urine

Chris Teichreb (teichrch@Meena.CC.URegina.CA)
Thu, 27 Jun 1996 08:29:29 -0600 (CST)

Hi all,

On Wed, 26 Jun 1996, Eric Kamakea wrote:

> would perdator urine double as a soil enhancer as well or do you only
> apply it in tactical locations?

Can't really answer that one. However, since urine often has
high concentrations of N, I'm sure this stuff may fertilize. Probably
best to apply it in the perimeter and not directly on your plants (they
may stink if you did that!).

> Also, how can I find one of these congenial predators who'll submit their
> urine samples? Actually I should probably visit the site before asking
> such questions.

What they're selling, as far as I know, is often intended for
hunting purposes as a mask to cover human scent. It's concentrated
predator urine, sometimes natural, sometimes artificial. It may or may
not work.

> Interesting thought... what if human urine was perceived by animals
> as being from predacious type? Maybe if I ate what animals ate for a
> week....

Interesting thought indeed! Human smells are indeed perceived
by
animals as a warning of danger, unless of course you've been feeding
your wild animals. These scents are marketed to cover up human scents
which animals all fear (unfortunately!) so using a predator urine may
actually draw them in (oh boy, the human's not around!). Also, if you
use a predator urine scent from some animal that isn't even indigenous
to your area, you may confuse the animals even more!

Personally, I'd try human urine before animal urine. Some people
may say I'm strange, well, they're right. But hey, if it works! ;-)

Chris