Light intensity measurement, CITES in Europe

Gordon Wells (wells@ic.upc.es)
Tue, 25 Jun 1996 12:31:12 UTC+0200

Hi Andy,

On Sun, 23 Jun 1996 18:57:54 -0700, Andy Hurrell wrote:

> Is there some sort of estimate of light intensity (in Lumens)that can be
> done by taking a meter reading with an SLR camera?

There is a good explanation about how to do this in the CP book
by Pietropaolo ("Carnivorous Plants of the World").

> The other thing is that I am going to Europe for a holiday this summer.
> If I buy any carnivorous plants in a European nursery, does anyone know
> if I am I going to need any special permits to bring them back into the
> UK?

I have good news for you: The UK is part of Europe! :^D
This means that the same EEC agreements apply to the UK
as for the rest of the European Community insofar as no
CITES permits being necessary for bringing plants from one
EEC country to the next (although Germany appears to be
the exception). This information was recently confirmed
on the list by a Belgian orchid nursery (see last week's posts),
and was also conformed to me personally by two major British CP
nurseries (Marston Exotics and Sarracenia Nurseries).

Best regards,

Gordon Wells
Instituto de Cibernetica
Diagonal 647, planta 2