Re: Re: Curving Scraggly Alata Typica

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Thu, 20 Jun 96 19:04 EDT

> From: Eric Kamakea <ekamakea@HAYWIRE.CSUHAYWARD.EDU>
>

> But it looks anorexic. Rather than a tube, the pitcher looks more
> like a colored piece of spagetti. (No offense to Italians) The skinny
> 14" high pitcher tube is hardly thicker than the petiole; not widening
> noticeably until just before the mouth, which is almost the same
> diameter as a pencil. The wierd looking shape is long and sraggly
> with _2_ 90 degree bends in it. It grows 9" up, 2" across, and then
> 5" back up again.

Hmm... This sound a lot like a couple of minor 'Okee Giants'
that turned out have a little S.purpurea venosa in them. I selfed
the plant last year and grew the resulting seed out and was not
very suprised when some of were growing prostrate. At first I had
thought it was S.psittacina in the mix based on the baby pitchers
but they grew into classical purp shapes though the coloring is odd.
This bending, does it result in this sort of shape:
top
|| Often this shape is not so noticable
|| as this,
This side being || but it is rather consistent. Also the
the front, where _// pitchers themselves tend to lean back
the mouth faces? //-/ more so than other plants of the same
|| "species".
> Is this how all the pitchers will grow? I heard that low light can cause
> the pitchers to curve so I supplement the sunlight from the window with
> additional electrical lighting but little changes.

I grow all my temperate CP outside because they love it! Plus
they look great and feed themselves. So I can't really say
about the indoor thing but I say grow 'em outdoors if possible.

If it's a genetic thing not to much can be done with that plant.
Flower it and self pollinate. This should give some seedlings
that will not have this bend as some of them will be nearly 100%
pure S.alata. But please don't cirlculate such plants as S.alata.
it would probably be best to kill the ones you don't grow.

This doesn't mean that *is* the cause, it can take a plant a year
or two in good conditions to shake off some types of stress.

Dave Evans