Re: Scottish CP

Phil (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 21:24:33 GMT

In your message dated Tuesday 18, June 1996 you wrote :
> Hi folks!
>
> All being well, [my Land Rover is in Ely, clothes & sleeping bag in
Cambridge,
> and I'm in Crawley], I'll be going up to Scotland for holiday in about 10
> days time. I'll only be there a week, a load of us are renting a house -
> should be good fun. Anyway, we're in the Western Highlands - probably
> covering the area from Ardnamurchan to Fort William to S. Skye.
> Last time I was in the area (S. Skye) I remember seeing some kind of
Drosera
> in the peat bogs. This was about a year before I bought my first CP, so I
> just though "hey, nice dinky sundews" (they were a lot smaller than I
imagined)
> ..
> Anyway, what kinds of CP should I be able to find? From what I remember,
> Britain has more than one native species of Drosera. Can Pings. be found
> in the Highlands? Are Utrics. or Drosophyllium (sp?) native to Scotland?
> I'd ask for any neat locations in this area, but I know many of you
wouldn't
> want to say. Fair enough. All I'd do is look & take photos (+curiosity
> for the other people), but I could just be saying that, couldn't I?
>

> Richard Marsden

You can expect to find all three native Drosera (D. anglica, D. intermdedia
and D. rotundifolia) in Scotland. You should also find plenty of P.
vulgaris and I have heard that large sites of P. lusitanica exist in the
Western Highlands. On the Isle of Skye there is supposed to be a colony of
P. alpina.

If you want to see good colonies of P. vulgaris, quite possibly still in
flower at this time of the year, you could do worse than take the ski lift
up Ben Nevis and have a walk around there. Also good is Glen Nevis where
you can see Pinguiculas growing on sheer rock faces with wter running over
them.

--
Phil Wilson
(cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)