Re: Sciara Fly Maggots

Robert Korfhage (korfhage@lis.pitt.edu)
Sat, 15 Jun 1996 11:35:10 -0400

At 08:05 AM 96/06/15 -0700, you wrote:

>Am I right in thinking that your American Robin is not the same as the cute,
>red-breasted, blob shaped, aggressive, adulterous, philandering, cannibalistic
>bird that our fellow Europeans across 'The Sleeve' allegedly eat for dinner?
>The main compost disturber in my patch is the Eurasian Blackbird.
>
>Good Growing, Nigel Hurneyman

You're right -- the American Robin is a member of the thrush family, and is,
I think I've read, somewhat larger than the European one. It is one of the
earliest birds to migrate back north in the spring, builds a nest of twigs,
straw, and mud, and lays from two to four light blue eggs. (REAL bird
watchers may want to correct my version of the facts slightly :-) ) Normally
robins are welcomed as they are cheerful birds, and go about digging grubs and
worms out of lawns. Also they are relatively accustomed to people, and will
often nest in trees where kids can watch them. (We had one that nested in a
pine just outside my window when I was a boy.) Perhaps next spring I'll
purposely set out some nesting materials, and see if she will stay away from
my bog.

Bob Korfhage