Re: Re: CP in the desert (was Barry's Drosera)

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Thu, 06 Jun 96 21:49 EDT

> From: jorwa@IX.NETCOM.COM(John Walker )
>
> Most of the larger plants (perineals) grow throught the year. The
> smaller plants (annuals) that grow close to the ground such as wild
> flowers, grasses, etc., germinate in the early spring (February) during
> the winter rains. By this time of year (June) the annuals are toast.
> The larger plants, trees and cacti, get a second watering during the
> monsoon months of July and August. Average annual rainfall is less
> than 6" =:o

Thanks for the info, John. I figure, the bulbous Drosera will
follow a schedule close to what the annuals do but come June,
they'll be dormant not dead.

> Arizona really has two wet seasons. Do you think that a couple
> of inches of rain in the heat of the Summer during D. peltata
> dormancy would bother it?

Yes! But this is easy to fix. Just cover the Drosera bed with
a plastic tarp. Hold it down with some heavy rocks so it won't
blow away during the T-storms. They do need some moisture but
that sounds like way too much at once.

> I saw the episode and was thinking the same thing and am hoping that
> similar results could be attained! I'll let you know in a few months
> how it is going.

??? Do you mean you have bulbs already planted and are waiting
to see if they sprout up in the fall?

I'm thinking that perhaps the standard kiddy wading pool bog
could be adapted for desert growing CPs outside growth. Since
they grow during one of the wet seasons, only a relatively small
amount of water would be needed. Unlike trying to grow through
the summer! Then it would be easy to cover it during the
monsoons since it would raised up no water could flow inside.
Hey, maybe someone will finaully be able to grow D.glandulgera (sp?)
year after year.

Dave Evans