Re: a new subscriber

Chris Teichreb (teichrch@Meena.CC.URegina.CA)
Wed, 05 Jun 1996 08:49:26 -0600 (CST)

Hello Fabrice,

> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm new to this mailing list, so I introduce myself. ( Excuse
> me for my poor english, but I'm french ! :-) ).

You're English is better than my French! Don't excuse yourself,
you were perfectly understandable!

> At this time, I have a few other plants : 2 Nepenthes ( 1
> alata, and 1 X coccinea ), 2 sarracenia ( 1 flava, and 1 purpurea ), 1
> Dionae ( the other one died last winter... Is there any tips for
> Winter survival ? ), 1 pinguicula moranensis, and that's all ( except
> some orchids, my second passion ).

Ah yes, the question of winter survival of VFT's. This question
has been brought up a few times on the list. I guess the first thing to
consider is whether or not you let the plant actually go dormant. VFT's
should be barely moist in the winter season and should be kept fairly
cool (to replicate natural conditions). As well, light levels should be
kept down at this time. If you stick them in your fridge, this should
suffice. I know some people will disagree with this, but this is what
you'll see recommended in the books and by the majority of people.

> All those plants are young ones...
> The only problem I have, is with water, because the rain water
> is to dirty ( lead, zinc,, ... ). I use the "state water", and to
> epurate it, I mix it with peat.

That should definitely acidify the water, but I wonder if it will
remove all of the lead and zinc? I guess if it works, then continue
doing it!

> Best regards from Paris,
>
> Fabrice

Welcome to the group!