Re: VFT plantlets

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 24 May 1996 20:41:47 +0100

On 23 May 96 at 8:09, Greg Long wrote:

> The VFT slowly died back but when there was one remaining leaf,
> plantlets started to grow from all along that leaf. There are
> currently 20-25 plantlets growing on this still green leaf. Some of
> them are now large enough for me to identify minute traps. My
> question is this: When and how shold I separate these plantlets from
> the leaf they are growing on?

I've not heard of this happening, but they are supposed to be able to
grow from leaf cuttings, and people talk of 'flower stem' cuttings
too. If your plantlets are still doing well, then I assume that the
remaining leaf is still connected to roots undergroud. I'd be
reluctant to recommend cutting it or the plantlets off in case the
whole lot died. I wonder if you could pin the leaf down in contact
with the soil to encourage the plantlets to produce roots.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)