Re: Darlingtonia seed stratification

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 20 May 1996 23:41:22 +0100

On 18 May 96 at 17:12, James Vicari wrote:

> Does anyone know any quick stratification techniques, ie shorter than
> several weeks.

I know from experience that Darlingtonia seed sown fresh in the
Autumn does not need stratification and will germinate in a few
weeks, or might wait until Spring if kept cool. I don't know whether
stratification becomes necessary if the seed has been stored dry for
a while, since I've never stored my home-collected seed. I never got
commercial seed of Darlingtonia to germinate at all.

No - I don't know of techniques less than several weeks, but this is
the sort of thing that only the dedicated experimenter would bother
to try. If general opinion says several weeks, and you regularly do
that (with Sarracenia) and it works, then there is little incentive
to experiment with shorted periods if the likely result is no
seedlings.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)