Re: New VFT grower

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 5 May 1996 22:35:28 +0100

On 1 May 96 at 16:21, Andre Asselin wrote:

> I've always been interested in VFTs, and recently I decided to try
> growing one. It's really thriving now that it got over it's initial
> shock. I noticed that recently, however, the soil seems to have this
> green slime growing on it; not a lot, but its there. It doesn't seem
> to be bothering the plant, but it is kinda bothering me. I was
> wondering if anyone might have any suggestions about how to get rid of
> it (or if I'd be better off just leaving it alone). Thanks...

I'd just leave it alone - I get all sorts of green slimy and mossy
things growing in my pots, along with occasional seedlings of Erica
spp. (which must come with the peat). I just assume that this flora
is what comes naturally with bog conditions. I guess I'm used to CP
growing green and healthy without much nutrient, but it somehow
surprises me when an Erica seedling does it. I've just germinated
some Protea seedlings, which according to accounts I've read sound
like they should appreciate a 'CP' soil (though not so wet,
presumably).

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)