Re: Nepenthes for beginners

Wayne Forrester (forrestr@mendel.Berkeley.EDU)
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 07:58:57 -0700 (PDT)

Chris,
I think there are many species that will do well in a terrarium.
Many of them will quickly outgrow smaller terrariums unless they are
frequently pruned. I currently grow N. gracilis and N. madagascariensis
in a 55gal aquarium used as a terrarium under fluorescent lights and with
slight heat to keep it at about 75 F at night and 80 F during daytime. The
N. gracilis grows like a weed. It has
the additional advantage that it is a smaller growing species, although
it will also need periodic pruning unless you have a fairly tall
terrarium. Hope this helps.
Wayne Forrester