Re: SE USA Pings

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Mon, 08 Apr 96 21:20 EDT

> From: CBelan9630@AOL.COM
>

> Does anyone know what ph the soil is in which they naturally grow?
> When I saw them naturally I never saw P. lutea, nor P. caerulea with
> any Sarracenia, P planifolia was growing near S. rubra gulfensis and
> D. filiformis tracyi, so I assume that the ph with P. planifolia was
> rather acid. BTW, this was near the Yellow River area some 10 years
> ago.

P.lutea and P.caerulea like the same conditions, no they don't like the
same conditions as Sarracenia but since I've always seen the pings close
to where S.minor is, I'd say they like similar pH. The pings grow in
90% sand 10% other stuff like peat, grass roots, utrics?, ect; while
the Sarrs are growing mixed in with forest scrub and are rooted in leaf
mold and sand. These two Pings always grow on well drained but moist
soil often on slopes so they receive direct sun for only a few hours
of the day. P.pumila is very similar in it's culture but likes even
less light and grows in long grasses. P.caer & P.lutea like mowed
grass though it must suck for them when trying to grow seed. Perhaps
they do more asexual reproduction from their roots than we give them
credit for as quite often there are several plants growing from what
was probably a single plant, forming a clumps.
I've only seen P.planifolia at one site, about 45 miles out of
the range listed in Don Schell's book. It seems to be aquatic as
only the flowers emerge from the water 4-6 inches deep, the plants at
the edge of the water have a stunted look to them. D.fili var. tracii,
S.purpurea, S.flava and many utrics grow along the egde of the plani-
folia pond. What contions are the P.planifolia growing in at Yellow
River?

Dave Evans