Re: outdoor Darlingtonia

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 16 Mar 1996 15:30:51 +0000

On 13 Mar 96 at 23:57, Matthew Tirpak wrote:

> I write in search of advise. I am considering adding Darlingtonia
> californica to my bog garden this spring and needed to know some
> cultural information about it. Primarily, will it survive outdoors
> all year at my home on the border of U.S.D.A. zones 5 and 6. I should
> add that the micro-climate of the site has allowed me to overwinter
> venus flytraps without much difficulty.

My own thoughts would be that if a VFT will survive, then a
Darlingtonia is *more* likely too. Here in the UK, I keep my
Darlingtonia outside (but under cover) - I'd keep them in the
greenhouse but there isn't room. I don't however keep VFT
outside.

For the benefit of all the rest of us who haven't got a clue
about USDA zones, just telling us how cold it actually gets in Winter
would help.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)