Dictatorship

Guido.J.Braem@bio.uni-giessen.de
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 00:45:03 +0000

Michael Chamberland wrote:

> This is not the official concept. As for permits, they are a
> way of keeping track of what research is being done on rare plants.

What is that good for? Do you want the CITES 'authorities' to tell us
botanists what we are supposed to do or not? That is dictatorship.
(other people call it communism).

> Rare plants cannot withstand the pressure of a lot of study

Could you please explain that?

>. People
> who want a permit must apply for one, with a research proposal.

Nonsense: There is no need whatsoever to disclose ones research to
obtain a permit. CITES Regulations do not require such 'proposals'.

> Why not try research on common plants?

This comment discredits you completely. Research must be done on all
plants, no matter whether they are rare, endangered or whatever.

> I am disheartened to hear amateurs criticize the work of professionals
> while at the same time expressing a desire to do the work of professionals.

You are very right

Happy CPing
Guido