re- Lee's Botanical Gardens

Nick Plummer (Nick_Plummer.HG#u#MAIL@mailgw.surg.med.umich.edu)
5 Mar 1996 15:58:34 -0500

L235@aol.com (Jay Lechtman) wrote:
>He doesn't pot anything up before he ships (pretty common practice,with >the
exception of California Carnivores, I'm told), so expect some damage,
>particularly to the delicate sundews. All should survive the trauma, he
>says.

I just ordered my first Cephalotus from Lee's. If it will come bare root, I
guess I should decide how to pot it up. I've read everything I could find on
Cephalotus in the archives and came up with the following points:

1. Use a relatively large pot, because the plant will reproduce
vegetatively with longish stolons. 2. Use an open mix and don't sit the
plant in a tray of water. The plant will rot if the media is anaerobic
and waterlogged. 3. Cover the pot with a clear dome if humidity is low.
4. Refill the pitchers with distilled water after repotting

Does that sound about right? I'm thinking of using a 4 or 4 1/2 inch pot
filled with dried sphagnum (and maybe a little perlite). Any other hints that
I missed in the archives?

cheers,
Nick

Nicholas Plummer