Re: Re: Sarracenia's & Yellow Jackets

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Fri, 23 Feb 96 18:32 EST

> From: Robert Beer <bbeer@U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
> On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, Carlstrom_Rick wrote:
> >
> > Anyway, if you live in a climate that permits it, definitely put
> > your Sarracenias outdoors. You won't be disappointed
>
> Yes! Yellowjackets seem to be Seattle's only really obnoxious form of
> insect life, and it gives me a "warm fuzzy feeling" to see them happily
> sliding down my Sarracenias. They have no caution whatsoever; I guess
> the figure "hey, I'm a yellowjacket, who's going to bother me?"

Yes, outside is the place for Sarracenia! I've seen this Yellow
Jacket feast for the last couple years, it's really nice to see
the pitchers filled up with those beasties. I've noticed that
many if not most YJ's escape. Perhaps it's only the weaker bugs
that end up as food? Anyway, every fall S.luecophylla gets many
of those big fat black bees. When I pass a pot of them, I aways
hear Bzzz.. Bzzzzzz.. BBBZZZZzzz... As they try to fly out.

Dave Evans