Re: S. purpureae color

John Walker (jorwa@ix.netcom.com)
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 16:03:01 -0800

At 06:41 PM 2/19/96 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
> I, like many, am one of the less (non)vocal of the group, but
>have finally found cause to make my presence (or ignorance) known. I'm
>fairly new to CP and have only a few S. purpureae, VFT's, and Drosera.
>My question is what influences pitcher color? I have had my Sar. for
>three years now, it is doing well, but is the greenest purple pitcher
>plant I have laid eyes on. There isn't a purple blotch, vein, or speck
>on the thing. It is, and has been, growing in a terrarium with my VFT and
>Drosera where it gets regular photoperiods from a gro-light bulb. There
>is fairly high humidity in the summer, meaning it can fog the sides of
>the glass, and I keep a good inch to two inches of water in the bottom of
>the tank. Any help or explanation for this would be appreciated.

In my experiance your plants need sunlight to get the red coloration you
desire. I have always grown my plants indoors under lights (Arizona sun has
killed all other attemps to date) and both my S. purpurea, Drosera's, and
VFT's are all green. They did have color, however, when I first purchased
them. I'm looking forward to aquiring the all red type of VFT in May.
Perhaps these will finally add a little color to my collection!

John Walker