Re: Clarke's Darlingtonia seed.

John Phillips (phillips@library.ucsf.edu)
Tue, 20 Feb 96 15:15:33 CST

In Message Fri, 16 Feb 1996 19:09:14 -0800,
dave evans <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU> writes:

>> The Darlingtonia seed that Clarke Brunt so generously sent out were
>> very good indeed! I planted the seed right away on the surface of a
>> 50/50 mixture of sphagnum peat and sand; I had nearly 100%
>> germination 14 days later! The seedlings are still doing well (with
>> relatively few losses) though our summer temperatures are climbing to
>> 35 deg.C every now and again. Hopefully they will continue to do so
>> as I am looking forward to flowering this wonderful plant someday.
>
>AHHH!!! With temps like that you might not. I lost almost
>every single Darlingtonia I had last year in that kind of
>weather. I don't know what specific advise to give besides
>get them to lower tempertures soon. At least give the roots
>cooler temps.
>
>Dave Evans
Keep a jug of water in your frig and water them once or twice a day. And if
you rig it right, you can reuse the same water after it's been in the frig
for awhile. Works for me: my 1" plants are sending out runners.
..
John Phillips Email: phillips@library.ucsf.edu
Information Services
UCSF Health Sciences Library Rm 202