Re: S. oreophila

Peter Cole (carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 10 Feb 1996 23:11:31 GMT

Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On 7 Feb 96 at 5:46, dick@rmy.emory.edu wrote:
>
> > I planted seeds of this pitcher plant in live sphagnum last
> > spring. The seed was from Chilterns. Most germinated but the
> > seedlings were short lived. I am determined to grow this thing and
> > I'm ready o try again with a fresh batch of seed. Does anyone have
> > any recommendations based on experience? Since I have seen this
> I planted a packet of Chiltern's S. oreophila 2 years ago. I got lots
> of them. I transplanted them a year ago, but for some reason they
> didn't do too well during the last year - hopefully this year will be
> better, as I won't be disturbing them. At the same time as
> transplanting the seedlings, I sent some to list contributor Peter
> Cole, and the last I heard they were doing very well, so I don't know
> what I did wrong with mine. My theory at the moment was that I
> transplanted them before Spring had really started, and then didn't
> give them any special heat or humidity - I suspect that some of the
> roots died.

Update on the S. oreophilas (Hi Clarke.) They're very well -
dormant at the moment, but reached 4"+ by the end of the summer,
and have nice fat little rhizomes like kidney beans waiting to
burst into life in a month or so.
I think the trick with oreophila is to keep them quite dry - I
think I read this in SCHNELL. I kept the compost damp at all times,
but not standing in water, and had them toasting under lights on
a 16hr photoperiod in the summer (they're outdoors for the winter,)
and they seem to thrive on it. I didn't measure the humidity, but
I'd guess it was 50-60%. I saw this species ailing at Marstons
last year, and surmised it was because they were in several inches
of water.

On the sphagnum v. peat:sand matter, I find peat:sand perfectly
satisfactory for other Sarra germination, but sphagnum has its
fans - use whatever you find best, I guess.

Happy growing,

Peter

snail:Peter Cole,17 Wimmerfield Cr. :mailto:carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk
Killay, SWANSEA SA2 7BU, WALES :http://www.angel.co.uk/flytrap/index.htm