Re: Venus Fly Trap in Seattle

Robert Beer (bbeer@u.washington.edu)
Wed, 29 Nov 1995 20:29:43 -0800 (PST)

Hi, welcome to the list

Your flytrap is trying to go into dormancy and it needs this step to do
well next year. If you can, your best bet is to keep it outdoors through
the winter. They can handle several degrees of frost and only need to be
brought in if we are getting one of those *really* cold snaps (as in
down to 5 or 6 degrees). I have mine potted in a large planter but have
overwintered them in 4 or 5 inch pots with no trouble, and our 15 degree
periods didn't faze them at all.

If you can't keep them outdoors, then you need to put it in the coolest
place possible. I used to put them into a recessed window and put a
piece of plastic in front of the window to keep that coolness in. Just
keep them moist, don't have them standing in water. Once it warms up in
the spring, they will start active growth again and you can10;60R put
them back into the water.

good luck!

bob