Re: (Fwd) VFTs dormancy and an observation

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Thu, 16 Nov 95 16:53 EST

> From: Seosamh mac Carthaigh <Seosamh.macCarthaigh@UCG.IE>
>
> It is possible the flooding is unrelated to this change - it might
> have hapened anyway. Another clone of these plants not submerged
> retained its original form. It got me thinking that there might be
> VFT types more adapted to wetter and drier locations in their range.
> This might be a type that grows wild in areas prone to prolonged
> flooding, whilst other plants might grow better where the sandy
> nature of good VFT soil prevents this.
>
> Just some thoughts. Perhaps someone who has seen them in the
> wild might can say if some plants are flooded occasionally and how
> they are affected.

Seos,

I haven't spent a whole alot of time with wild VFT, but when I was
down in N/S Carolina this summer I saw several mirco-environments
all within a few hundred feet of one another in which VFTs were
growing. All were very upright and for the most part fairly pale
in color. Some were bit darker red but nothing outstanding caught
me eye. They did come in a variety of shapes though. Short blades
with huge fat traps on some while others had longer leaves with
smaller traps. I think the *coloring* of VFT is more influenced by
genetics while the *shape* is more environmental. Atleast when we
are not talking about those weird 'fang face' clones floating
around.

Dave Evans