Re: Mushrooms with my VFT

Andreas Wistuba (A.Wistuba@DKFZ-Heidelberg.DE)
Tue, 14 Nov 1995 13:08:21 GMT+1

> On 12 Nov 95 at 15:59, Charles Wong wrote:
>
> > I've recently noticed lots of mushrooms appearing in the pot I keep
> > my VFT in. Am I keeping the potting material too wet or is
> > something else wrong here?
> >
> > The plant itself is growing very well although at a reduced rate due
> > to the cold temperature now.
>

> I'd think they are harmless, and not particularly related to wetness.
> I've had the odd one in my pots, but never a lot. They gain their
> nutrients from dead organic material, like rotting wood, so maybe some
> can take hold in peat.

Not necessarily. There are also higher Fungi which destroy living
Sphagnum. I had an infection in my greenhouse some years ago which,
to make things worse, took place in winter. Within a few weeks all my
potting media made up of Sphagnum turned into a slimy greyish mass
and I had to repot almost all my plants within weeks.
On all the pots were these neat mushrooms.....;-)
Since that time I banned Sphagnum from my cultures.

Andreas

Andreas Wistuba; Mudauer Ring 227; 68259 Mannheim; Germany
Phone: +49-621-705471 / +49-621-7152027
Fax: +49-621-7152028
E-Mail: andreas.wistuba@rhein-neckar.de
WWW: http://www.rhein-neckar.de/~carnivor/index.html