Re: VFT bulbs etc.

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 22 Oct 1995 10:40:54 +0100

On 21 Oct 95 at 21:27, Thomas C. Smith wrote:

> Are VFT bulbs easier to grow to "maturity" than buying established plants?
> (and keeping them alive)
>
> Are Cobra Pitcher Plants fairly easy to keep alive?
>
> Please give a few commercial sources

Please try to give a better 'Subject:' for the messages than
'CP Digest nnnn'! I've changed the subject of this followup.

I think you would be better with an established VFT plant than a
'bulb'. At least the way I grow them, the plants are never fully
dormant, and don't really have 'bulbs' at all - just a swelling where
the leaf bases come together. If someone sells you a 'bulb', I think
you are most likely to get something than has been unnecessarily
dried, and had its roots and leaves removed.

Cobra Pitchers (Darlingtonia californica) are easy enough in the
right conditions, but I know that some people have trouble with it
(possibly if their conditions are too warm?).

I have never used any nurseries for plants, and in any case, I'm
in England. You're right than Thompson & Morgan are hardly likely
to give you a good choice. One reasonable seed list is Rowlands
in the UK (lots of cacti and succulents, but a good selection of CP).

Address: Doug and Vivi Rowland, 200 Spring Road, Kempston,
Bedford, MK42 8ND, England

They say they will accept US dollar cheques, and that an s.a.e. or
reply coupon is appreciated to get their list.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)