Re: CP books overview

Liane Cochran-Stafira (lcochran@midway.uchicago.edu)
Wed, 18 Oct 1995 17:19:38 -0500

On Oct 18 1995 Jan Schlauer wrote:

>I do not entirely share your views here. The book by JUNIPER & al. is much
>more recent (and a +/- valuable compilation of references), but it is
>poorly organized by phenomena rather than by taxa, which scatters the
>information across the whole book (probably with the intention to appear
>scientific-ish but I just find it annoying). The prize you have to pay for
>the work is far too high.

Jan,
I guess it really has to do with your focus. I find Juniper et al. to be
an excellent source of info on natural history, physiology, structure, etc.
as well as a very good compilation of references (for the most part). BUT
- I agree, if I were interested in the plants in terms of their taxonomy or
cultural requirements it isn't all that useful. I think the emphasis in
the book is geared toward the nature of the carnivorous plant syndrome
rather than the botanical/taxonomic aspects. You're certainly correct in
saying it's overpriced. Unfortunately, Academic Press tends to overprice
many of its offerings.

Just my impressions,
Liane Cochran-Stafira