Re: Tuberous drosera

writserv@mi.net
Tue, 17 Oct 1995 08:19:18 -0300

>On 30 Sep 95 at 12:59, writserv@mi.net wrote:
>
>> I envy you. I have never had the nerve, in this Canadian climate, to try
>> tuberous Drosera. Apartment dweller. I am always afraid that the tubers
>> will rot. After reading your post, I think my reticence may be well placed.
>
>I think you should give some a try - but get seed if you can, then
>it costs hardly anything if they fail.
>
>I'd particularly recommend D. peltata - I find these come
>easily from seed. In the northern hemisphere they come up about now -
>October - with wiry stems and 'radio-antenna' leaves, and stay active
>until about May or June. I then take them out of the water tray, and
>just place the pots in the house

>Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)

(Above messages snipped)

Hello Clarke:

Thank you for your reply. I have read about D. peltata and have often
thought it would be an interesting Drosera to try, but I did not think that
I, as an apartment grower, could meet its cultural requirements in two
areas; light and humidity. Also, I have been told that they need
particularly deep pots.

Your response has me rethinking my options. If you would be so kind to
answer a few questions ...?

How much direct sunlight does D. peltata need and how much bright light can
it get by on? (I have East & West exposures)

Is the plant adaptable to low humidity conditions for part of the growing
season? I am not a terrarium grower and from Dec. to Feb. the humidity is
fairly low, although my N. alata still pitchers in January and my D.
capensis and D. adelae, though slow or resting, are still dewy enough to
catch fungus gnats.

Are deep pots and deep planting really necessary for a healthy, blooming
plant?

Any information you may give me will be appreciated.

Good growing,

Rand Nicholson 250 Somerset St Saint John New Brunswick Canada E2K 2Y3

writserv@mi.net