Re: Feeding of CPs

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 12 Oct 1995 22:50:57 +0100

On 11 Oct 95 at 18:08, Edmund Lee Jon Deoon wrote:

> This has probably been asked before, but I've only just started trying to
> maintain some droseras and sarracenias and would apprciate it if someone
> could tell me if it is important to feed the CPs through their respective
> trapping mechanisms. If not where do CPs get their nutrients? If yes does
> regular feeding through traps encourage trap development? Afterall making
> traps consume energy and if the plant is not very successful trapping
> would it not shut down the process for a while until a more plentiful
> harvest?

I guess it might be important to make sure the plants catch some
insects, but they are well adapted to make do with very low nutrient
levels. I never need to feed mine artificially. The Drosera don't
always catch much, but there is no stopping the Sarracenia and
Darlingtonia, especially if they are outside. The traps completely
fill up with insects, which often causes parts of the trap to rot.
Apart maybe from Nepenthes, most of the CP don't really have any
choice as to whether to produce traps - they are just the plants'
natural leaves.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)