Out-of-phase Australians, and Drosera

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 30 Sep 1995 10:04:57 +0100

On 29 Sep 95 at 19:13, Nexus User elliott wrote:

> Anyway, most of my CP have now brokem dormancy, with most of Sarras
> producing at least three flowers. My VFTS are still in dormancy, and
> haven't really shown any signs of growth.

It's strange hearing from these 'out-of-phase' people in Australia!
The only things breaking dormancy over here are the tuberous Drosera,
some of which of course come from Australia. I assume these aren't
among the things coming into growth over there - do they start to do
their stuff in March or so?

I never quite remember when is the best time to repot the tuberous
Drosera if I am going to. I was reminded by a message on the CP list
a week or so ago that it was about time - sure enough, when unpotted,
some of mine were already sending up stems, which makes it difficult
not to damage them.

This year, I have complete confidence :-) that the dead-looking
D. cistiflora (which don't have tubers - just sort of thick roots)
will still be alive, after they surprised me by coming up last year.
I have also done something I have wanted to do for a while - I had a
pot with two different species of tuberous sundew in it, labelled
D. erythrorhiza - maybe one of them is this - anyway I could never
distinguish between the dormant tubers, so I have put every single
one in a different pot - 12 of them!

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)