Re: extinct nepenthes

Robert Beer (bbeer@u.washington.edu)
Fri, 29 Sep 1995 08:01:29 -0700 (PDT)

I might add to this, in response to the "in the wild or in cultivation"
part of the question, that although one might say "extinct in its natural
habitat" for a plant that is still in cultivation (the direction S.
oreophila seems to be headed), when something is just "extinct," that's
it for the species. It's gone. And N. campanulata was a pretty amazing
species too....

Bob

On Fri, 29 Sep 1995, Andreas Wistuba wrote:

> > I read somewhere that there are some Nepenthes species that are
> > now extinct, and I was hoping someone out there might know
> >
> > a) what species of Nepenthes exactly are extinct.
>

> N. campanulata is extinct. N. neglecta (Whatever it was...) also as far
as I know. > Both because of habitat destruction!