Re: Amount of light for nepenthes

Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Mon, 28 Aug 1995 21:04:04 -0400 (EDT)

Michael Reeter wrote:

> Can anyone tell how much light nepenthes should have?

The healthy amount of light depends on the species.

> I have my new plants on the back porch where they get
> direct sun for about 3-4 hours first thing in the morning
> and then they are shaded by part of the roof the rest of the day.
> Is this enough sun light?

This is probably enough. If the plant starts growing
rather spindly toward the light, then it might benefit
from more light.

When I travelled to Borneo, I saw most Nepenthes in the wild
benefitting from a bit of shade. Rajah, villosa, x kinabaluensis,
fusca, and reinwardtiana were all growing nicely in full shade.
Lowii, gracilis, tentaculata, and mirabilis grew in both
shady and sunny locations, but even in the latter case there
was some shade from tall grass or young saplings.

Perry Malouf