Mites on Pings

Magnus.Thoren@planteco.lu.se
Mon, 21 Aug 95 16:20:05 +0200

Fernando Rivadavia wrote:
>Aha! So these mites do live on leaves of other species of
>Pinguicula! Not only should we check on all the Pings we can, but hell,
>why not on Drosera, Byblis, Roridula, and Drosophyllum too?! And of
>course, Triphyophyllum, in case anyone ever gets this species! Were
>you aware of this article when you saw the mites Thor? Did you know what
>those mites were doing there or are you killing yourself now for not
>having noticed and published the discovery first!!

No, we was not aware of the mite-problem when I first counted the prey,
but we came in contact with the authors (Antor and Garcia) before we
published our article:

Karlsson, P. S., Thor`n, L. M. and Hanslin H. M. 1994. Prey capture by
three Pinguicula species in a subarctic environment. Oecologia 99:188-193

As for mites on other CPs, why not. A CP provides food and protection from
predators.

P.S. Ah! The joys of Internet. My first name is Magnus, my second name is
Thoren with an apostrophe over the e. This apostrophe seems to mess up
peoples computers, so feel free to call me by my first name. Maybe I
should change name. D.S.
Magnus Thor`n
Plantecology, Department of Ecology, Lund University
Ekologihuset, S-223 62 Lund, Sweden
Tel +46-(0)46-2229311

Magnus.Thoren@planteco.lu.se

"Her tentacles swaying seductively in the breeze,
the Venus Kidtrap was again poised and ready"