Re: Web help - please

Peter Cole (carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 17 Aug 1995 00:46:53 GMT

/G=Loyd/S=Wix/OU=1890CHPI/O=TMGB.URC/@LANGATE.gb.sprint.com writes:

> Help please from any of you Web experts/frequent users. Is
> anyone out there able to get on the CP home page? Every time
> I try it I get an application error which closes down
> Netscape. This happens when I type in the address or if I
> use the links from P+Ps home page or from Barrys home page
> (Hi Barry love that hat!).

Now, I read this first half, and thought "I recognise this problem".
I can't log on to the CP home page either most of the time - I get
busied out, and Lynx returns an error (yes, I'm afraid I'm still
using Lynx :(

The reason appears to be no more than that there are so many people
online when I try (most of them on a much shorter hop, being in the
US). I can usually get on on weekday mornings (when the phone
charges are at their highest :( but any other time just won't work.
But then I read:

> Application Error
> Netscape caused a general protection fault in module
> Netscape.exe at 000A:5782

and I realized that this was not the (only) problem.
A GPF is a serious indication of some sort of problem on your machine.
Windows is not very helpful when it comes to reporting problems, so
you'll have to tinker fairly blindly until it goes away (or find a
man who can.)

I notice that you mention that Barry's as well as PP's home pages
work OK - I seem to recall that both these are Netscape enhanced.
I'd guess therefore that Andreas' home page would work too, but the
CP home page is just regular HTML (AFAIK,) - possibly this is the
problem. I'd advise checking your configuration to change any
options that look like they're fixing the default source as Netscape
Enhanced HTML rather than regular vanilla HTML. Of course, this
may well b***er up Barry's and PP's pages.

In the meantime, (shameless plug :) you could do worse than get my
Webaccess article from the listserv - Email access to the WWW is
alive and well, and living on a server somewhere in Switzerland
(and it's a damn sight cheaper to run than a full browser.)

Happy browsing,

Peter