Re: Re: "The Private Life of Plants"

Richard Marsden (marsden@andreas.wr.usgs.gov)
Thu, 3 Aug 1995 17:52:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 3 Aug 1995, John Taylor wrote:

> >The largest flower in the world is Rafflesia.
>
> That's what I believed - I guess that makes 2 errors in the review...
> (You must admit it is an impressive "flower-like" reproductive structure!)

Rafflesia is in the programme. I think he also describes it as being the
largest...
IIRMC its all down to definitions. The tall thin thing (forget the name)
is made of florets, whilst the rafflesia is one large single flower - the
largest single flower of any plant. When you see the programme, the tall
one, is quite a bit larger than a rafflesia!

Richard