Re: Drosera peltata, Darlingtonia

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 20 Jul 1995 21:23:22 +0100

> > From: Seos mac Carthaigh <Seosamh.macCarthaigh@ucg.ie>
> My little colony of _Drosera peltata_ is still on the go. The largest
> plants died back a few weeks ago, having produced some white flowers.
> Smaller plants have just finished flowering having used pale pink
> flowers. These plants are all from self sowings into a large pot.
> Usually these plants have died back ages ago.

Similar with mine. The larger D. peltata are *still* in leaf, though
beginning to look like dormancy will start at any time.
My pot of seedlings died back some time ago, and I'm not not sure
whether to leave them in their pot, or sort through the soil for
tubers and stick some in separate pots (more appropriate for giving
away then, as I wouldn't like to dig one up while in growth). If I do
this, I think it's a good idea to re-use all the old soil, just in
case you miss any small tubers.

One of my Darlingtonia has surprised me by producing a shoot from a
drainage hole in the *bottom* of a 6 inch (150 mm) deep pot! The
holes in this design of pot extend a little up the side of the pot,
so I guess it saw the light and away it went!

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)