Re: Re: Evolution of CPs

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Tue, 06 Jun 95 22:53 EDT

> From: Robert Beer <bbeer@U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
>
> There may be Sarracenias planted there for the public to view, but they
> are not native to the area. Many of the Sarracenias will survive in wet
> places just fine as long as they are not out-competed. A friend of mine
> has planted some S. purpurea in constantly-wet *leaf/fir needle litter* at
> the Rhododendron Species Foundation near here, and it has done well and
> for 2 years now. I imagine that S. purpurea would also grow in some of
> the alpine bogs in the Cascades here where D. rotundifolia also grows, as
> long as you got the northern hardy form.

As far as I can tell (from what I've seen and heard) that's sort of
backwards. All Sarracenia(s) are equally hardy as far as withstanding
cold weather goes. When the very northern S. Purpurea purpurea and
heterophylla (sp?) are brought down south like to North Carolina U.
they suffer from heat stress. The greenhouse they were in probably
helped contribute to the problem but all the other Sarracenia and
southern purps were doing wonderfully there. My leucophylla (grown
outside year-round in Northern Jersy) are set back; I think they are
primed to start growing at a higher temp than S. flava, minor, oreo-
phila, and most purpurea. This was exaggerated this year by the
very slow temperature climb, we finally got several days in the 80's
per week starting about two weeks ago. The S. flava and purpurea
are done flowering and have huge pitchers while leucophylla flowers
are just starting to open, no pitchers yet. While their growing
season are shortened they do grow robustly and I get a great crop
of fall pitchers that last into the late late fall.

Dave Evans