Re: defunct drosera, hungry Nepenthes

Joachim Nerz (joachim.nerz@student.uni-tuebingen.de)
Tue, 30 May 1995 14:22:20 +0200 (MESZ)

On Thu, 25 May 1995, ISLAM, YASSIR wrote:

> I too had an aphid infestation on my drosera capensis. I sprayed with
> Schultz (pyrethrin) spray, but all the leaves died. Hopefull they will
> recover. Are there any persticides organic or otherwise, that will work
> without damaging the foliage? And why don't the aphids end up on the sticky
> trap like other insects?

Dear Yassir,

usually, you don't have to feed your Nepenthes, they don't need it; if it
is too time-consuming, to feed your pitchers with insects, just do it
with sticks of fertilizer; they are more clean and easier to handle than
insects, BTW insects oftenly develop a bad smell in the pitchers and in
your terrarium or greenhouse, you won't like it; if you feed too many
insects (I did it with mealworms), sometimes your pitcher begins to rot.
In the greenhouse, they catch their insects by their own; especially the
yellow pitchers of vines (maxima, eymai, alata ...) catch in summer a lot
of flying insects.

Joe