Re: CP Medium

LCCSB St._Francis (b3fra002@freenet.niagara.com)
Tue, 4 Apr 1995 23:46:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 2 Apr 1995 AMurphy@aol.com wrote:

> Hi, I'm very new to CP's and have a couple of questions. I've had a 5 gal.
> terrarium with Pings, VFT's, and Saracenia since June. I'm about to expand
> to a 30 gal. terrarium. I plan on growing them in 2-3" of peat moss topped
> with long fiber sphagnum. Is this a good medium choice? (The 5 gal. has
> sphagnum over perlite.) Also, are there any cases where CP's need
> fertilizer? The only things I've added to the 5 gal. is distilled (or rain)
> water and the occasional ant and the plants seem quite happy.
>
> Thanks, Tony

Tony,

Here's a list of mediums I've used all with excellent success!

VFT in equal parts peat and silica sand
Mature Sarracenia 70%silica sand 30% peat
Seedling Sarracenia live sphagnum or 33% peat 33% silica sand 33% perlite
Cephalotus equal parts peat and silica sand
Darlingtonia pure live sphagnum

Hope this is of help!

Sincerely, Carl J. Mazur
b3fra002@freenet.niagara.com

"Why isn't phonetics spelled like it sounds?"