Re: CITES

John Phillips (phillips@library.ucsf.edu)
Mon, 13 Feb 95 08:49:10 CST

In Message Sat, 11 Feb 1995 02:34:40 -0800,
Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk> writes:

>> I have "heard" stories of this sort of thing happening. The story
>> went that people's N. rajah plants were confiscated if they did not
>> possess the proper paper work. Government officials were tipped off
>> by another collector who did have the proper paper work and wanted to
>> be among a select few to possess this plant.
>

>Or you might interpret it as "tipped off by a responsible citizen who
>had no time for others' flagrant disregard of the laws on trade in
>endangered species".
>
>So get propagating. Grow your plants from seed and cuttings. Swap the
>resulting plants with others. Build up your collections using your
>cultivation skills, rather than by using huge amounts of money.
>
>-- Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
The siezed plants I mentioned above were obtained through trade w/
other
growers and were originally grown from cuttings. Because the cuttings
were traded between friends and acquaintances, they hadn't bothered w/
any paper work. Peter D'Amato of California Carnivores was the person
who recounted this story to me.
Plants seized in government raids are usually destroyed rather than
given
to a botanical garden or reintroduced to the wilds. John Phillips UCSF
Health Sciences Library Rm 202 Interlibrary Loan (415) 476-8383