Re: Re: Light tubes

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Wed, 01 Feb 95 04:41 EST

> From: Joachim Nerz <joachim.nerz@STUDENT.UNI-TUEBINGEN.DE>

> I think, the easiest and cheapest way to grow CP's under lights are the
> simple Industrial cold-white tubes, you do not need the expensive
> Growlux-lights; very bad experience I had with the blue-red
> 'fluora'-plant-lights!
>
> Bye
> Joe N.

Could you please elaborate on your very bad experience? I am thinking
(huh-oh) of building a grow area using some of GE's 33 watt Sho & Gro
Bright Stik bulbs; just to try something new. I took a horticultural
class last year and we were taught that plants mostly use the reds and
blues of the spectrum with near complete disregard for greens and
yellows. Is this on the money? If true wouldn't a bulb that produces
more reds and blues be more cost effective at least a far as electrical
consumption is concerned (more of the electricity is in effect used by
the plants)?

Thanks, Dave Evans