Re: Hydroponicly grown CP's?

Trisha Coene (tcoene@CSOS.ORST.EDU)
Fri, 6 Jan 1995 16:28:44 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 28 Dec 1994, Clarke Brunt wrote:

> What exactly is the definition of 'hydroponic'? Is it
> any system where the 'soil' has no nutrients of its
> own and everything is supplied in solution? Even when
> the soil *does* have nutrients, they have to dissolve
> in water to be absorbed by the plant, so I don't really
> see what the difference is.

Well, I'm sure this has been answered already, but I've been away for the
holidays, so I'm allowed to answer it again. I just happen to be the
editor of a high-tech gardening magazine specializing in hydroponic
cultivation, so I will give you a brief definition of hydroponics. Here
it is: Soilless cultivation. That's it. It's a much faster and intensive
method of growing, because the soil is not there to buffer nutrients.
They go directly to the plants. The plants' roots are suspended in the
growth chamber, which has a nutrient solution circulating throughout.
They are supported by a growth medium: perlite, rockwool, clay pebbles...
you get the idea. The solution is circulated via a pump.

Do not use pine bark in a hydroponic system because, like soil, it will
soak up precious elements. CPs will do extraordinarily well
grown hydroponically, as does most everything else. I'm VERY glad to see
this group is interested in hydroponic cultivation; it's the new era in
growing.