Winter CP food and Intro

Greg Long (greg.long@factory.com)
Mon, 2 Jan 95 15:50:00 -0500

Hi to all members of the CP list,

I have been reading the list for a while now and have learned much in a
very short time. My name is Greg Long and I live in New York City. I
have tried growing venus fly traps on and off for almost my whole life
(I am now 32). About three years ago I decided to get serious about it
and bought some small healthy looking VFT's and the New York Botonical
Garden. I have been very diligent in the care of these plants and have
been rewarded by healthy plants that love to eat the flies in my
apartment. My children have also been interested and have learned a lot
about CP's from our small collection. Recently I received a Nepenthes
Mirabilis cutting from Tom in Florida and the cutting has started
growing VERY well (see below).

I am a biologist and toxicologist by training (B.S. in Biology, Ph.D. in
toxicology) and conduct biological research pertaining to heavy metal
toxicology in human and animal bone cells. I have no formal training
specifically in CP biology or taxonomy, but I am learning. Thank you
all for sharing your experience and knowledge on this mailing list. As
I gain experience and knowledge I hope to continue to expand my
collection of CP's. I would also like to say that although I have
limited experience as a CP'er I grow many types of houseplants and my
apartment windows look sort of like a jungle.

SK>I searched outside, in the cold, for bugs that I could feed my
SK>Drosera and Nepenthes. I couln't find one bug anywhere.

It has been so warm in New York City this year that I still go out and
grab flies, etc. outside. What a winter!

SK>My N. Mirabillis cutting from Tom in Florida has survived the
SK>transition to the greenhouse and seems to be doing well as
SK>it's unfurling it's first true leaf. Pretty neat to watch
SK>a miracle like that!

Yes, my cutting from Tom is growing very well also. I have two true
leafs (one open) and two pitchers (the largest is currently 3 cm tall,
open, and growing like crazy). This is my first Nepenthes and it is
fascinating to watch the pitcher develop and grow.

---
 . POW 1.1  0043 . Powerline Offline reader for Windows - New Windows OLR