Re: building a bog.

Leo Hodges (edwardh@unity.ncsu.edu)
Mon, 27 Jun 1994 11:48:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 16 Jun 1994, Carl Strohmenger (HSC) wrote:

> Chelsie Vanderveer, the president of the Tampa Bay Carnivorous Plant
> Club, gave us this recipe for building a bog:
>
> Milled Canadian sphagnum peat moss
> Long fiber sphagnum moss
> Clean water (captured rainwater, bottled spring water, distilled water,
> RO water, etc.)

I've never had any experience with carnivorous plants, but would like to
try my hand at building a bog and raising some. Would someone on the list
be kind enough to answer three, possibly quite silly, questions? First,
would tap water be acceptable for use in a bog and if not; why? Second,
what is RO water? And third, the winters in my area (Zone 7/8 in North
Carolina) are not excessively harsh, but it does occasionally get well
below freezing so how do you keep your bogs from freezing solid and
killing the plants? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Leo