Re: easy-to-grow Nepenthes

MALOUF@ESTD.NRL.NAVY.MIL
Mon, 4 Apr 1994 6:28:28 -0400 (EDT)

Philip A. DiTullio writes:

<stuff deleted>

> Also for the beginner, what would be a good
> Nepenthes to start with? After reading some of the discussions
> lately, coolers and all it sounds a bit boggling.
> Do they need to be in a hanging basket?
> Well enough rambling's from a novice.

Two Nepenthes that I have found rather easy to grow are N. alata
and N. khasiana. Technically they're labeled as highland species,
I think.

Growing conditions for highland species versus lowland species are
different in the temperature extremes, but there is considerable
overlap. Highlanders might enjoy daytime temperatures in the 70's F
to 80 F and some might be able to tolerate night time temps near
freezing. Lowlanders would prefer warmer daytime temps between 75 F
and 90 F, and perhaps night time temps not below 65 F. (All these
numbers are NOT iron-clad limits). So, if you can keep the daytime
temps in the mid 70's F and the night time temps above 60 F then
you can probably grow almost any Nepenthes. Coolers might be
required for a greenhouse that's in a hot environment, like
AZ or FL, which contains highlanders like N. villosa, N. edwardiana,
N. rajah, etc. (the more delicate Nepenthes). Although a highland
Nepenthes might not be killed by lowland conditions, it may not
thrive. The converse is also probably true.

The plants don't _have_ to be put in hanging baskets. It's just
one possibility. These plants are vines, and allowing them to
grow from a hanging basket is convenient. When they get larger
they often don't have the strength to stand upright without
supports (this depends on the species). So if you don't want to
use a hanging basket, then provide a trellis or other framework
for the plant to clamber through.

Perhaps by mid summer I'll have some rooted cuttings of N. alata, if
you're interested. Soon I'll be hacking back one unruly plant and
I'll try rooting several cuttings.

Perry