(no subject)

Jan Schlauer (zxmsl01@studserv.zdv.uni-tuebingen.de)
Sat, 20 Nov 1993 15:24:10 +0100

Barry, you wrote:
>There comes a point where you have to send a gently prodding
>letter, either suggesting that they get their abaxial surface in gear, or
>lose their position on the paper.

I've written 2 (TWO!) such letters: no reaction/reply!

>Incidentally, are you thinking about
>publishing in a more official journal than CPN? Perhaps if you were
>publishing in a refereed journal, M.C. would be more enthusiastic.

If we were to publish that key together with M.C., we'd do it in the "Kew
Bulletin", but I'd rather see the thing printed in a year or so in CPN than
never in K.B.!

Don and Barry:

>>_P. kondoi_ plants have a slight pinkish coloration toward the center
>>of the rosettes. _P. cyclosecta_(?) is completely green.

vs.

>(... _P."cyclosecta"_) is pinkish while the _P.kondoi_ is all green

We cannot rely on leaf colouration, as this is not constant in _Pinguicula_!
What about the flowers? Does anyone have a _P.cyclosecta_ with spurs longer
than 10 mm? If not, forget the "cyclosecta" ID!

Don, your description of the plant sounds like _P.kondoi_ or _P.reticulata_
(related to the former but different in the emarginate-truncate sepals).

Barry:
>(...) an extremely different looking plant.

This is not much of a description. Could you specify the differences?

>_N.spectabilis_: CPN 19:1 p21,22, S2 p153.
> A species extraordinary for the very narrow pitchers. So long and thin
> they are, they remind me of an agitated cobra. Red with green speckles,
> moderate peristome, large spur.

With this species, we have to be somewhat careful. The pitchers seem to be
extremely polymorphic. I have seen specimens in the Leiden Herbarium (L)
collected in N Sumatra with extremely large and wide (lower) pitchers not
at all looking like those we are used to know from various illustrations.
But these evidently grew on the same plant with (upper) pitchers that were
"typical". The large spur seems to be fairly constant.

>_N.thorelii_:
> All I have for this is a Kondo reference for p124.

There is a drawing in the "Flore Generale de l'Indo-Chine". I can look up
that reference if you are interested in that kind of stuff.

Kind regards
Jan